'Sobering Words!' - Luke 12:4-5

Nobody is reading this thread right now.

[Jesus continued,] "Dear friends, don't be afraid of those who want to kill your body; they cannot do any more to you after that. But I'll tell you whom to fear. Fear God, who has the power to kill you and then throw you into hell. Yes, he's the one to fear."

Luke 12:4-5 NLT

Key Thought​

Most of us, me included, much prefer to speak about God's grace, love, and mercy. Every once in awhile, however, we hit one of those "shake you to the core" passages that remind us of God's holiness and our sinfulness. God doesn't want to punish or condemn us. Jesus is proof of that. But, he is the creator, and he has paid an enormous price to bring us back to him after our rebellion. [1] When we ignore his grace, mercy, and love, we are choosing disaster and judgment. God's grace, mercy, and love are revealed and offered to us in Jesus. To reject Jesus is to reject God and his grace, mercy, and love [2] and to choose judgment and condemnation. In the Good News so focused on God's desire to save all people in all walks of life, the warning in today's verses must be taken seriously. Jesus wants us to know that what we decide about him and what we do with his life and teachings mean everything for us eternally.

[1] Colossians 1:13-16.
[2] Luke 10:16.

Today's Prayer​

Father, forgive me when I have trivialized your grace, mercy, and love that were so powerfully offered to me through Jesus. Forgive me, O God, for the times that I have not been awed by your holiness, not been touched by your sacrificial mercy, and not been wounded by the price you paid to extend grace to me. Thank you with all that I am for Jesus, in whose name I offer this petition and prayer. Amen.

Related Scripture Readings​

Ⓒ 1996-2023 Heartlight, Inc. This material may not be reproduced in part or whole for commercial use without written consent. What Jesus Did! is written by Phil Ware and is available in book form. Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright ©1996, 2004, 2007, 2013, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Continue reading...

[Jesus continued,] "Dear friends, don't be afraid of those who want to kill your body; they cannot do any more to you after that. But I'll tell you whom to fear. Fear God, who has the power to kill you and then throw you into hell. Yes, he's the one to fear."

Luke 12:4-5 NLT

Key Thought​

Most of us, me included, much prefer to speak about God's grace, love, and mercy. Every once in awhile, however, we hit one of those "shake you to the core" passages that remind us of God's holiness and our sinfulness. God doesn't want to punish or condemn us. Jesus is proof of that. But, he is the creator, and he has paid an enormous price to bring us back to him after our rebellion. [1] When we ignore his grace, mercy, and love, we are choosing disaster and judgment. God's grace, mercy, and love are revealed and offered to us in Jesus. To reject Jesus is to reject God and his grace, mercy, and love [2] and to choose judgment and condemnation. In the Good News so focused on God's desire to save all people in all walks of life, the warning in today's verses must be taken seriously. Jesus wants us to know that what we decide about him and what we do with his life and teachings mean everything for us eternally.

[1] Colossians 1:13-16.
[2] Luke 10:16.

Today's Prayer​

Father, forgive me when I have trivialized your grace, mercy, and love that were so powerfully offered to me through Jesus. Forgive me, O God, for the times that I have not been awed by your holiness, not been touched by your sacrificial mercy, and not been wounded by the price you paid to extend grace to me. Thank you with all that I am for Jesus, in whose name I offer this petition and prayer. Amen.

Related Scripture Readings​

Ⓒ 1996-2023 Heartlight, Inc. This material may not be reproduced in part or whole for commercial use without written consent. What Jesus Did! is written by Phil Ware and is available in book form. Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright ©1996, 2004, 2007, 2013, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Continue reading...
Fear God and keep His commandments that is to whole duty of man and women.

A riveting and compelling call to prayer shows you that your prayer life can be what God intends it to be. The child of God is driven to say, “I must pray, pray, pray. I must put all my energy and all my heart into prayer. Whatever else I do, I must pray.” This and other resources are now integrated into the Virtual Prayer Partner that you can interact with.

Similar Requests

• Article
[After Pilate said he found nothing wrong with Jesus, his accusers] became insistent. "But he is causing riots by his teaching wherever he goes — all over Judea, from Galilee to Jerusalem!" "Oh, is he a Galilean?" Pilate asked. When they said that he was, Pilate sent him to Herod Antipas...
Replies
Views
  • Article
[After warning not to be disturbed by false messiahs, wars, and natural disasters, Jesus continued,] "But before all this occurs, there will be a time of great persecution. You will be dragged into synagogues and prisons, and you will stand trial before kings and governors because you are my...
Replies
Views
  • Article
[Jesus continued the story,] "But when the tenant farmers saw [the vineyard owner's] son, they said to each other, 'Here comes the heir to this estate. Let's kill him and get the estate for ourselves!' So they dragged him out of the vineyard and murdered him. "What do you suppose the owner of...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Two others, both criminals, were led out to be executed with [Jesus]. When they came to a place called The Skull, they nailed him to the cross. And the criminals were also crucified — one on his right and one on his left. Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't know what they are...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Then Pilate called together the leading priests and other religious leaders, along with the people, and he announced his verdict. "You brought this man to me, accusing him of leading a revolt. I have examined him thoroughly on this point in your presence and find him innocent. Herod came to the...
Replies
Views
Your donations for running this web site are greatly appreciated.

Click To Make A Donation

Latest Blogs & Articles

Top Bottom