'Right Titles, Wrong Hearts' - Luke 23:35-39

Nobody is reading this thread right now.

The crowd watched [Jesus' crucifixion] and the leaders scoffed. "He saved others," they said, "let him save himself if he is really God's Messiah, the Chosen One." The soldiers mocked him, too, by offering him a drink of sour wine. They called out to him, "If you are the King of the Jews, save yourself!" A sign was fastened above him with these words: "This is the King of the Jews."
One of the criminals hanging beside him scoffed, "So you're the Messiah, are you? Prove it by saving yourself — and us, too, while you're at it!"

Luke 23:35-39 NLT

Key Thought​

Isn't it amazing how the mocking crowd, the scoffing leaders, the cruel soldiers, and the sarcastic criminal on the cross nearby all call Jesus the right thing, but they say it in derision and don't put their faith in him? Yes, God can have even the devil himself confess the truth about Christ and the devil's minions did so, [1] but it takes a seeking heart to believe, follow, and be saved. The truth is there if your heart is seeking. Jesus is the one who saves, he is God's Chosen One, he is the Messiah, and he is King of the Jews. We know his identity, but the real questions are whether or not he is your LORD and mine!

[1] Luke 4:33-34.

Today's Prayer​

Father in heaven, I believe that Jesus Christ is LORD. I trust that he died for my sins. I believe that he could have come down off the cross but instead chose to suffer death for me and then was raised to life for my salvation. In Jesus, I put my trust. Thank you in his name. Amen.

Related Scripture Readings​

Ⓒ 1996-2023 Heartlight, Inc. This material may not be reproduced in part or whole for commercial use without written consent. What Jesus Did! is written by Phil Ware and is available in book form. Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright ©1996, 2004, 2007, 2013, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Continue reading...

The crowd watched [Jesus' crucifixion] and the leaders scoffed. "He saved others," they said, "let him save himself if he is really God's Messiah, the Chosen One." The soldiers mocked him, too, by offering him a drink of sour wine. They called out to him, "If you are the King of the Jews, save yourself!" A sign was fastened above him with these words: "This is the King of the Jews."
One of the criminals hanging beside him scoffed, "So you're the Messiah, are you? Prove it by saving yourself — and us, too, while you're at it!"

Luke 23:35-39 NLT

Key Thought​

Isn't it amazing how the mocking crowd, the scoffing leaders, the cruel soldiers, and the sarcastic criminal on the cross nearby all call Jesus the right thing, but they say it in derision and don't put their faith in him? Yes, God can have even the devil himself confess the truth about Christ and the devil's minions did so, [1] but it takes a seeking heart to believe, follow, and be saved. The truth is there if your heart is seeking. Jesus is the one who saves, he is God's Chosen One, he is the Messiah, and he is King of the Jews. We know his identity, but the real questions are whether or not he is your LORD and mine!

[1] Luke 4:33-34.

Today's Prayer​

Father in heaven, I believe that Jesus Christ is LORD. I trust that he died for my sins. I believe that he could have come down off the cross but instead chose to suffer death for me and then was raised to life for my salvation. In Jesus, I put my trust. Thank you in his name. Amen.

Related Scripture Readings​

Ⓒ 1996-2023 Heartlight, Inc. This material may not be reproduced in part or whole for commercial use without written consent. What Jesus Did! is written by Phil Ware and is available in book form. Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright ©1996, 2004, 2007, 2013, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Continue reading...
Open our hearts o Lord to worship You, just as the title You have gotten at the cross, King of the Jews. Yes, You are King of kings and Lord of lords.

"Oh the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God!" Read about the deep things of God and the riches of his grace. This and other resources are now integrated into the Virtual Prayer Partner that you can interact with.

Similar Requests

• Article
One of the criminals hanging beside [Jesus] scoffed, "So you're the Messiah, are you? Prove it by saving yourself — and us, too, while you're at it!" But the other criminal protested, "Don't you fear God even when you have been sentenced to die? We deserve to die for our crimes, but this man...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Then the entire council took Jesus to Pilate, the Roman governor. They began to state their case: "This man has been leading our people astray by telling them not to pay their taxes to the Roman government and by claiming he is the Messiah, a king." So Pilate asked him, "Are you the king of the...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Two others, both criminals, were led out to be executed with [Jesus]. When they came to a place called The Skull, they nailed him to the cross. And the criminals were also crucified — one on his right and one on his left. Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't know what they are...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Then Jesus' mother and brothers came to see him. They stood outside and sent word for him to come out and talk with them. There was a crowd sitting around Jesus, and someone said, "Your mother and your brothers are outside asking for you." Jesus replied, "Who is my mother? Who are my brothers?"...
Replies
Views
  • Article
[After Pilate pronounced Jesus innocent,] a mighty roar rose from the crowd, and with one voice they shouted, "Kill him, and release Barabbas to us!" (Barabbas was in prison for taking part in an insurrection in Jerusalem against the government, and for murder.) Pilate argued with them, because...
Replies
Views
Your donations for running this web site are greatly appreciated.

Click To Make A Donation

Latest Blogs & Articles

Top Bottom