'Rich with Grace' - Luke 23:44-46

Nobody is reading this thread right now.

By this time it was about noon, and darkness fell across the whole land until three o'clock. The light from the sun was gone. And suddenly, the curtain in the sanctuary of the Temple was torn down the middle. Then Jesus shouted, "Father, I entrust my spirit into your hands!" And with those words he breathed his last.

Luke 23:44-46 NLT

Key Thought​

Those few words are filled with great richness and significance for us. There are at least three messages for us:
  1. Jesus' death occurred in deep darkness, a darkness that symbolized Satan's power and had its way for a brief spell before its stranglehold on us was broken forever by Jesus' resurrection.
  2. The curtain was between the Holy Place and the Most Holy Place in the Temple, just as it had been in the Tabernacle. [1] The Most Holy Place was considered by Jews to be the dwelling place of God. [2] The tearing of the curtain symbolizes Jesus' opening up the way for us to enter the Most Holy Place, the very presence of God, with confidence and find grace at the mercy seat of God. God has further validated this direct access to him by coming to live in us through his Holy Spirit that he has given us. [3]
  3. In his final breath, Jesus entrusted everything to his Father in faith; in our worst moments, we can know that no matter how forsaken we may feel, God will bring us to himself in glory. Jesus took his last breath and his earthly body died; each of us must one day give up our last breath, but because of Jesus' death and subsequent resurrection, we can die with confidence.

Which of the three messages do you need most today? Look to Jesus and trust in his grace to strengthen and sustain you.

[1] Exodus 26:33.
[2] Exodus 40:1-3, 25:22.
[3] Romans 8:11.

Today's Prayer​

Father, what can I say in response to the gift of your Son? All praise to you, the God Almighty, the Father of mercy, and the Sovereign God of grace. Jesus, thank you for your example and the price you paid to provide grace for me. Now I finish this prayer with the request that you, O Holy Spirit, fill and empower me to have the same trust during my struggles as the LORD displayed as he faced his trials and death. In the name of Jesus, my LORD and Savior, I pray. Amen.

Related Scripture Readings​

Ⓒ 1996-2023 Heartlight, Inc. This material may not be reproduced in part or whole for commercial use without written consent. What Jesus Did! is written by Phil Ware and is available in book form. Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright ©1996, 2004, 2007, 2013, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Continue reading...

Give up the ghost and let God have it in His holy habitation in glory. I want to hear heavenly songs sung by angels and all the elders and prophets singing precious songs to God almighty.

Do you know how to pray? Read this powerful compilation of Spurgeon, Ryle, Bunyan and others. Includes titles such as Continue in Prayer, Hindrances to Prayer, and What True Prayer Is. This and other resources are now integrated into the Virtual Prayer Partner that you can interact with.

Similar Requests

• Article
Immediately after [feeding the crowd], Jesus insisted that his disciples get back into the boat and head across the lake to Bethsaida, while he sent the people home. After telling everyone good-bye, he went up into the hills by himself to pray. —Mark 6:45-46 NLT Key Thought This whole...
Replies
Views
  • Article
[After Jesus blessed the five loaves and two fish and had them distributed, the people] all ate as much as they wanted, and afterward, the disciples picked up twelve baskets of leftover bread and fish. A total of 5,000 men and their families were fed. —Mark 6:42-44 NLT Key Thought Mark made...
Replies
Views
  • Article
When [Jesus and the others] came to the home of the synagogue leader, Jesus saw much commotion and weeping and wailing. He went inside and asked, "Why all this commotion and weeping? The child isn't dead; she's only asleep." —Mark 5:38-39 NLT Key Thought One of the ways early Christians...
Replies
Views
  • Article
"My little daughter is dying," [Jairus] said. "Please come and lay your hands on her; heal her so she can live." Jesus went with him, and all the people followed, crowding around him. —Mark 5:23-24 NLT Key Thought We can easily make Jesus into a two-dimensional caricature of himself. He...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Late that night, the disciples were in their boat in the middle of the lake, and Jesus was alone on land. He saw that they were in serious trouble, rowing hard and struggling against the wind and waves. About three o'clock in the morning Jesus came toward them, walking on the water. He intended...
Replies
Views
Your donations for running this web site are greatly appreciated.

Click To Make A Donation

Latest Blogs & Articles

Top Bottom