Questions and Answers

Nobody is reading this thread right now.

Questions and Answers

- Based on real conversation(s) -

--------------------------------------------

Anon: There is no God

Newbie: The Bible says, "The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God." (Psalm 14:1) Only a fool actually believes the God doesn't exist.

Anon: Convenient. So, according to the verse you just quoted, if I don't believe in God, I am a fool. But I consider you to be the fool. After all, you believe in God, but can you prove to me His existence? Or failing that, can you at least prove to me that the Bible is the Word of God?

Newbie: I cannot prove the existence of God nor can I prove the validity of the Bible. But I know that there is a God, I know He exists, because I have faith. Through faith, I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that there is a God and that the Bible is His Word.

Anon: You have faith that there is a God? And you call me a fool. It is you who are the fool. Faith is all well and good, but in the real world we deal in facts, not theories and suppositions.

Newbie: Faith is not fact, this is true. But we do have logical conjecture. Look at God's creation, the mountains and hills, the valleys and streams. The stars in the sky, the sunrise and the sunset, each day a unique work of art. Look at the human body, designed to perfection. Even many atheist scientists admit to an intelligent design. And if there is an intelligent design, there must be an intelligent designer or Creator, and His Name is God. Or do you believe that all the things I have just mentioned are the result of some chemical reaction?

Anon: While I admit to an intelligent design, if there is a God, where is He? Why can't I see Him?

Newbie: God is Spirit, we are flesh. He is divine, we are but mortal.

Anon: But that doesn't answer my question. Why can't I see God? Where is He? Why doesn't He show Himself?

Newbie: Where is God? He is everywhere and in anything. God is love, so where there is love, there is God. In the love between husband and wife, there is God. In the love that parents have for their children, there is God. You cannot see God in the flesh because (a) God is Spirit, not flesh, and (b) the Bible says, "No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him." (John 1:18) Only Jesus has seen God.

Anon: Fine, I cannot see God. What about Jesus? Can I see Him? Where is He?

Newbie: While you cannot see Jesus now, for the same reason that we are flesh but He is Spirit, you will see Jesus. In the next life.

Anon: Fine, I'll see Him in the next life. But how about now? How do I know He exists?

Newbie: Through logical conjecture. Look at creation, look at the beauty and majesty of all that surrounds you. Is that not proof enough of God?

Anon: I agree on intelligent design, and logic does suggest some sort of Creator/Designer/Maker etc. But how do you know that person/spirit is God?

Newbie: Through faith. Only God would be powerful enough to create something on this scale and with such precision and attention to detail. Only God could have created this world and the surrounding universe.

Anon: True. But is it your God? Is it Allah? Is a Buddha? Is it a Hindu God? I could go on, but the list is endless.

Newbie: I believe that God is the ONLY God, and that Christ is the only one who can save me from my sins. I have faith in Him, and Him alone. Christ's only law is love.

1. Love God with all your heart, mind, and soul

2. Love your neighbours, do good to them that hate you, pray for all those that despise and persecute you, love your enemies

3. Tell others about God's love

Love is the most powerful force in all the world. And love is the central core of all of Christ's teaching, laws and commandments.

Anon: Hate is also a powerful emotion. Love is perhaps a positive emotion, and hate a negative emotion, but both are equally strong emotions. You cannot say love is the most powerful emotion/force. It simply isn't true.

Newbie: Love can overcome hate.

Anon: I find that hard to believe. Love is a common emotion, but I think there is more hate in this world than love.

Newbie: Let me give you an example. Let's say a parent finds out that their child is doing drugs. They hate what he has done, they hate that he has chosen to take drugs, but they do not hate their child. They love him. He is their child, and they will love him no matter what. They will forgive him, because they love him. And so it is with God. God hates the sins we commit, but He loves us so much that He forgives us our sins, because He loves us.

Anon: If God loves us so much that He forgives us our sins, how come Jesus had to die for our sins? Couldn't God forgive us just because He loves us? And if He can't forgive us just because He loves us, how can you say that God is omnipotent? If He is all-powerful, couldn't He simply do as He pleases? It is either one or the other.

Newbie: God is a God of love, justice and mercy. As a God of love, He loves us, however, He is also a God of justice. He cannot simply ignore our sins. We must pay for our sins, but we can never pay for our sins. We can never atone and pay for our sins before God. It is impossible. That is why He sent His Son, Jesus, into the world, Jesus never committed sin, but He was tempted in the same way we are, and had all our human frailties. That is the only price that can be paid for our sins, the blood of Christ. He was innocent of any wrongdoing, but He gave His life so that we, through His blood and sacrifice, might be saved. He took upon Himself the sins of the world, from the best of us to the worst of us. He died horribly, as a criminal, and in the hour of His death, God turned His back on His only Son, so that He might die as we deserve to die. That is why Jesus said, "My God, My God, why have You forsaken Me?" God let Him die as a sinner, without God, so that through His sacrifice, we who have sinned, and who deserve that fate, might be saved. It is only through the blood and sacrifice of Christ that we are cleansed, saved, and forgiven.

Anon: I still don't understand, why doesn't God simply say, "You will all go to heaven". He is God, can't He simply ignore what we deserve and do as He pleases? If He can't, then He isn't all-powerful and as such, not much of a God.

Newbie: Can God forgive us without the sacrifice of Christ? Yes, He could. But He will not. There is a difference between the words "can" and "will". God can do anything, but there are many things which He will not do.

Anon: That sounds cruel. He will not forgive us so He send His only Son to die a horrible death that He in no way deserves. Is that your definition of love? I call that cruelty.

Newbie: God didn't send Jesus to earth against His will, Christ chose to come to earth and sacrifice His life for our sins. He didn't have to die, nobody forced Him, He chose to die. He chose to give His life for us, so that through His death and suffering, we might have eternal life. That is my definition of love. The Bible says, "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends." (John 15:13) Christ made the ultimate sacrifice, and in doing so, He proved His undying, unending, and everlasting love for us. The Bible says, "Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins." (1 John 4:10)

Anon: Ok, so God loves us. Why then, if He loves us so much, is there so much suffering in this world? Couldn't God end it?

Newbie: Free will. We live in a fallen world. This world isn't the way God desires it to be.

Anon: You avoided the question. If, as you say, God is a God of love why does He allow suffering? And what about those that believe in Him? The Bible even promises suffering and persecution to those that believe in God, why doesn't God treat His followers better?

Newbie: This is never an easy question to answer. God does not enjoy our suffering and pain, and He longs to put an end to our suffering. But there are times when suffering is good for us. Yes, that wasn't the answer you wanted to hear, but let me explain. Suffering is how we grow, and how God teaches us valuable lessons, such as compassion for others, humility, and many others. Nobody enjoys suffering, but it is through suffering that we grow stronger. The Bible says, "That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ." (1 Peter 1:7) Suffering draws us closer to God. In our suffering and desperation, we seek out the Lord, and that is when He draws us nearer to Him. If everything went well all the time, what need would we have for God?

And there are times when God has to break us in order to remake us. In order for God to make something out of us, He has to chisel away our pride and our sins. This can be unpleasant at times, especially when we are stubborn and set in our ways. God has to break all our old habits before He can teach us new and better habits. The more stubborn and set in our ways we are, the longer the processes of remaking us will take.

Think of God as the potter, and us as the clay. The clay doesn't tell the potter how to shape the clay, the clay yields to the potter's hands. In the same way, we must yield to the hands of God as He shapes and remakes us. We must surrender our will to God, we must say, "Not my will, but Yours be done." Just as Christ surrendered His will to the Father, so must we.

Anon: Ok, so suffering helps us to grow, but if God loves us so much, couldn't He do it differently?

Newbie: Yes, He probably could, since He is all powerful. The exact reason as to why He chooses to do it this way is unknown to us in this life, God thinks differently then you or me, His ways are not our ways nor His thoughts our thoughts. (Isaiah 55:8) I can however, tell you my personal theory.

My theory is that the reason why God chooses to remake us in this way is because to do it any other way would be to violate our free will. God could force us to change, He could snap His fingers and say, "Hey Presto" and we would be different. But that would violate our free will. And God will not violate our free will. He has given us the choice of good or evil, the right way or the wrong way, and He will not choose for us.

Anon: Fine, God cannot do it differently without the violation of our free will. But why did He give us free will in the first place? It seems like it has more downsides then benefits.

Newbie: God wants us to choose to love and serve Him of our own free will, not because we have to. Real, genuine love can only be given freely, otherwise it is not true love. Let me give you an example. If a robot says to you, "I love you" Is that real love? No, the robot has no choice in the matter, it simply does as it is programmed. A robot cannot experience or give love. If a person tells you, "I love you" they are doing it of their own free will. They love you, and want to let you know that they love you.

Free will can be both a blessing and a curse. God has given us the ability to choose in life. We can choose right from wrong, we can choose love or hate, we can choose to serve God or go our own way. God will not force us to serve Him, He wants us to serve Him because we love and and we want to serve Him. God will not force us to choose right instead of wrong.

Put simply, God gave us free will because He wants us to choose to love and serve Him, not just because He says we have to.

Anon: Fine. But what about my free will? When God sends down His judgements, isn't that imposing His will on me? Isn't He violating my free will? I have no wish to be punished.

Newbie: No. God's judgement is the result or consequence for our actions. Free will doesn't mean that there will be no price to pay for our actions. We have the free will to choose between right and wrong, God's way or our way. The consequences for our actions are a result of our actions, not a violation of free will.

Anon: But what about salvation? Christ died for our sins, shouldn't His sacrifice cover all our sins and mistakes? After all, the Bible says God is a loving and forgiving God.

Newbie: Yes, God is a loving and forgiving God. Yes, Christ suffered and died for our sins, so that through Him we might have eternal life. But Christ's sacrifice was for our salvation from damnation, not freedom to do as we will with no consequences or price to pay. Just as for every action there is a reaction, for every sin there is a consequence.

Anon: Ok, that's all well and good, but you claim we have free will. Why has God given us only two choices, good vs evil? I want a third, or perhaps a fourth option. Isn't this a violation of my free will?

Newbie: No. There are only two choices because there can be only two choices. You are either for God or against God. You either choose good or you can choose evil. You either go God's way or your own way. The Bible says, "He that is not with me is against me: and he that gathers not with me scatters." (Luke 11:23) There exists no middle ground. You cannot be 50%, 60%, or even 99% for God. God wants 100%, He will accept no less.

Anon: Ok, but what about salvation? Is it eternal or is it temporary? What about someone who is 100% for God, but keeps making mistakes, keeps committing sins? They aren't doing it on purpose, they are simply fallible humans. Does God revoke their salvation because they are unworthy of Him?

Newbie: Salvation is eternal, the Bible is very clear on that. The Bible says, "And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand." (John 10:28)

"Never perish." The Bible clearly emphasises that once saved you will never perish, and that nobody or nothing can take you away from God. You cannot be too bad for God. You cannot lose your salvation because of your sins, or else none of us would be saved. The Bible says:

“Come now, and let us reason together,” saith the Lord. “Though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool. - Isaiah 1:18

Anon: What about when you die and you decide, after your death, that you do not want to be saved? Will God force you to retain your salvation? Isn't that a violation of your free will and your right to choose?

Newbie: If you, once in heaven, reject God of your own free will and renounce your salvation, then yes, I believe you can lose your salvation. Take Satan as an example, he was an archangel, and the Bible calls him the "son of the morning". (Isaiah 14:12) He had everything, but He rebelled against God in his pride and was cast into hell along with those that followed him. Satan didn't have to rebel, nobody forced him, he chose to rebel out of his own free will. That is why I believe that we will have free will, even in heaven.

Anon: What about those who remain loyal to God? Will they be made perfect. The Bible says, "He will make all things new." (Revelation 21:5) Does that mean they will be without sin? Will they become perfect as God is perfect?

Newbie: (Thanks to Intercessor for the answer) If you mean, "without sin", many Christians believe so. Traditional teaching says that it is the spirit that struggles against the flesh and vice versa, so that once we are finished with our un-resurrected flesh, we are freed from sin. At the resurrection, the flesh is changed and transformed, and the spirit and body reunited. The Bible says, "To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect." (Hebrews 12:23) The phrase "spirits of just men made perfect" implies that yes, we will be without sin once we are resurrected.

"Oh the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God!" Read about the deep things of God and the riches of his grace. This and other resources are now integrated into the Virtual Prayer Partner that you can interact with.
This is a different kind of question, and I may pose it to others too.God created animals to have more instinct than people.I've heard animals can sense when demons are present.like a dog will start howling. Is there truth to that,?Wondering.

An animal might have more "instinct" about demons than the average person -- the average person probably has demons let alone ability to discern them... Let's remember that "the discernment of spirits" is a gift of the Holy Spirit which gifts God's distributes as He sees fit for the common good of his church (1 Cor 12:4-31; 1Cor 14:1).

Man has more authority on earth than any other created creature, and when aligned with Christ, who has all authority in heaven and earth, the Psalm 115 is fulfilled in part, "The heavens are the heavens of The LORD, but the earth He's given to the sons of men."

Anon: What about those who remain loyal to God? Will they be made perfect. The Bible says, "He will make all things new." (Revelation 21:5) Does that mean they will be without sin? Will they become perfect as God is perfect?

Newbie: No. We are not God, only He is perfect. We will continue to make mistakes, because that is how we grow. I do not believe that once we go to heaven we will be as perfect as God. We are all sinners and make mistakes, and I think that we will continue to so so in the next life.

Sorry, this is not true. The very definition of heaven is that it is a place of perfection.

1) If we were to sin in heaven, heaven would not be perfect anymore -- that's what started the whole initial rebellion (Isaiah 14, Ezek 28).

2) The Bible teaches we will be like Jesus.

a) Jesus said "it is enough for a student to become like his Master" (Matt 10:25, Luke 6:40).

b) Where we are never above Christ, "we do become like him" because of the Change brought about when we see Him face to face (1 John 3:1-3), "Behold what manner of love the Father has given to us, that we should be called children of God. And that is what we are! The reason the world does not know us is that it did not know Him. 2Beloved, we are now children of God, and what we will be has not yet been revealed. We know that when Christ appears, we will be like Him, for we will see Him as He is. 3And everyone who has this hope in Him purifies himself, just as He is pure." Also Philippians 3:20-21 says we will be transformed by His power at the return of Christ to be like His glorious body... 20 But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ, 21 who, by the power that enables him to bring everything under his control, will transform our lowly bodies so that they will be like his glorious body.

31 minutes ago, Intercessor said:

Newbie: No. We are not God, only He is perfect. We will continue to make mistakes, because that is how we grow. I do not believe that once we go to heaven we will be as perfect as God. We are all sinners and make mistakes, and I think that we will continue to so so in the next life.

Sorry, this is not true. The very definition of heaven is that it is a place of perfection.

1) If we were to sin in heaven, heaven would not be perfect anymore -- that's what started the whole initial rebellion (Isaiah 14, Ezek 28).

2) The Bible teaches we will be like Jesus.

a) Jesus said "it is enough for a student to become like his Master" (Matt 10:25, Luke 6:40).

b) Where we are never above Christ, "we do become like him" because of the Change brought about when we see Him face to face (1 John 3:1-3), "Behold what manner of love the Father has given to us, that we should be called children of God. And that is what we are! The reason the world does not know us is that it did not know Him. 2Beloved, we are now children of God, and what we will be has not yet been revealed. We know that when Christ appears, we will be like Him, for we will see Him as He is. 3And everyone who has this hope in Him purifies himself, just as He is pure." Also Philippians 3:20-21 says we will be transformed by His power at the return of Christ to be like His glorious body... 20 But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ, 21 who, by the power that enables him to bring everything under his control, will transform our lowly bodies so that they will be like his glorious body.

I never thought about it like that. I got my original answer from here:

https://christianity.stackexchange.com/questions/5966/will-we-be-perfect-in-heaven

Second answer, which says:

Only God is perfect, and (except for Mormon teaching) we will never be God. Ergo, we will never be perfect.

Going a bit deeper into the word, however, when the Bible uses the word perfect, it is typically the Greek word telos. Telos does not imply a state of being, but rather a direction toward the end for which a thing is made. It has the sense of a target, minus the actual arrival.

Yes, telos is used to denote completed, usually. Jesus, "it is finished" -- for example... But traditional teaching is that it is the spirit that struggles against the flesh and vice versa, so once we are finished with un-resurrected flesh, we are freed from sin. At the resurrection, the flesh is changed and transformed, and the spirit and body reunited.

Hebrews 12:22 "Instead, you have come to Mount Zion, to the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem. You have come to myriads of angels 23 in joyful assembly, to the congregation of the firstborn, enrolled in heaven. You have come to God the judge of all men, to the spirits of the righteous made perfect, 24 to Jesus the mediator of a new covenant, and to the sprinkled blood that speaks a better word than the blood of Abel."

In the intermediate state after men die and prior to the resurrection the Writer of Hebrews calls those souls, "the spirits of the righteous made perfect" (Heb 12:23).

Hey, you did a really good job btw, keep reading the straight Bible, listen to the New testament over and over in audio versions. Commentaries are opinions, The Bible is foundational so you can tell if the commentaries are on track or not. It's like the way they used to teach people to look for counterfeit money -- they studied the original so much the false ones were recognizable because they were easily seen as not authentic.

Eph 1:17 in Jesus' name.

5 hours ago, Intercessor said:

Yes, telos is used to denote completed, usually. Jesus, "it is finished" -- for example... But traditional teaching is that it is the spirit that struggles against the flesh and vice versa, so once we are finished with un-resurrected flesh, we are freed from sin. At the resurrection, the flesh is changed and transformed, and the spirit and body reunited.

Hebrews 12:22 "Instead, you have come to Mount Zion, to the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem. You have come to myriads of angels 23 in joyful assembly, to the congregation of the firstborn, enrolled in heaven. You have come to God the judge of all men, to the spirits of the righteous made perfect, 24 to Jesus the mediator of a new covenant, and to the sprinkled blood that speaks a better word than the blood of Abel."

In the intermediate state after men die and prior to the resurrection the Writer of Hebrews calls those souls, "the spirits of the righteous made perfect" (Heb 12:23).

Hey, you did a really good job btw, keep reading the straight Bible, listen to the New testament over and over in audio versions. Commentaries are opinions, The Bible is foundational so you can tell if the commentaries are on track or not. It's like the way they used to teach people to look for counterfeit money -- they studied the original so much the false ones were recognizable because they were easily seen as not authentic.

Eph 1:17 in Jesus' name.

Thank you for pointing out my error, my original post is now modified.

Btw, I was thinking of doing a follow-up post, but I have some questions on my list that I am having a hard time answering. If you can spare the time, can I send you the list to look at?

Similar Requests

• Article
The real Christmas story is the story of God’s becoming a human being in the Person of Jesus Christ. Why did God do such a thing? Because He loves us! Why was Christmas necessary? Because we needed a Savior! Why does God love us so much? Because He is love itself (1 John 4:8). Why do we...
Replies
Views
  • Article
And I know there are angels all around, let us all praise Jesus Christ, we are for sure are standing on holy ground. To God be the glory for the anointing of His holy presence in our life. In the presence of the Lord there is fullness of joy. Hallujah, we love You today. We shall forever...
Replies
Views
  • Article
The day may groan in pain and sorrow, the night may be long and dreary, it signals that we are going to break down, but there is help coming from above, the cry of heaven is to trust and obey for there is no other way. While the night may be uncertain, the light of God cometh in the morning...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Life may not let us choose our lot, but Jesus will lead us all to His heavenly home when we are faithful and true to His word. Let Him guide your steps to heaven during this New Year. He want us all in glory knowing that we will be praising and adoring God, The habit of being happy and...
Replies
Views
  • Article
The Stoning Of Stephen I cried, I grieved, and I pondered his story ALL day, and now it seems to be an everyday thing. But I don't understand why I wept ALL day. I didn't even know Stephen. His story seemed to be very short, yet, I mourned him. But Stephen SAW the heavens opened up, he SAW the...
Replies
Views
Your donations for running this web site are greatly appreciated.

Click To Make A Donation

Latest Blogs & Articles

Top Bottom