'Not a Ghost!' - Luke 24:36-43

Nobody is reading this thread right now.

And just as [the two men from Emmaus] were telling [other disciples in Jerusalem about their encounter with Jesus], Jesus himself was suddenly standing there among them. "Peace be with you," he said. But the whole group was startled and frightened, thinking they were seeing a ghost!
"Why are you frightened?" he asked. "Why are your hearts filled with doubt? Look at my hands. Look at my feet. You can see that it's really me. Touch me and make sure that I am not a ghost, because ghosts don't have bodies, as you see that I do." As he spoke, he showed them his hands and his feet.

Still they stood there in disbelief, filled with joy and wonder. Then he asked them, "Do you have anything here to eat?" They gave him a piece of broiled fish, and he ate it as they watched.

Luke 24:36-43 NLT

Key Thought​

Sometimes things are just too good to be true. In fact, we are told that one way to sniff out a scam is by the principle of "If it seems too good to be true, then it probably is!" The disciples had trouble believing in Jesus' resurrection because it just seemed too good to be true. In this case, however, it was true. So Jesus went to great lengths to help them understand that he was not a ghost or a figment of their imaginations. He had them touch him and see his scars. He ate fish in their presence. Jesus' resurrection was too good to be true ... but it was true, and because of his resurrection, everything is possible for his disciples!

Today's Prayer​

Father, give me the eyes to see and the ears to hear the great news you have given me in Jesus' life, death, and resurrection. I know this news is "too good to be true," but I believe that it is true and want to live out my life based on that faith. Strengthen that faith through your Holy Spirit. In Jesus' name, I pray. Amen.

Related Scripture Readings​

Ⓒ 1996-2023 Heartlight, Inc. This material may not be reproduced in part or whole for commercial use without written consent. What Jesus Did! is written by Phil Ware and is available in book form. Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright ©1996, 2004, 2007, 2013, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Continue reading...

And just as [the two men from Emmaus] were telling [other disciples in Jerusalem about their encounter with Jesus], Jesus himself was suddenly standing there among them. "Peace be with you," he said. But the whole group was startled and frightened, thinking they were seeing a ghost!
"Why are you frightened?" he asked. "Why are your hearts filled with doubt? Look at my hands. Look at my feet. You can see that it's really me. Touch me and make sure that I am not a ghost, because ghosts don't have bodies, as you see that I do." As he spoke, he showed them his hands and his feet.

Still they stood there in disbelief, filled with joy and wonder. Then he asked them, "Do you have anything here to eat?" They gave him a piece of broiled fish, and he ate it as they watched.

Luke 24:36-43 NLT

Key Thought​

Sometimes things are just too good to be true. In fact, we are told that one way to sniff out a scam is by the principle of "If it seems too good to be true, then it probably is!" The disciples had trouble believing in Jesus' resurrection because it just seemed too good to be true. In this case, however, it was true. So Jesus went to great lengths to help them understand that he was not a ghost or a figment of their imaginations. He had them touch him and see his scars. He ate fish in their presence. Jesus' resurrection was too good to be true ... but it was true, and because of his resurrection, everything is possible for his disciples!

Today's Prayer​

Father, give me the eyes to see and the ears to hear the great news you have given me in Jesus' life, death, and resurrection. I know this news is "too good to be true," but I believe that it is true and want to live out my life based on that faith. Strengthen that faith through your Holy Spirit. In Jesus' name, I pray. Amen.

Related Scripture Readings​

Ⓒ 1996-2023 Heartlight, Inc. This material may not be reproduced in part or whole for commercial use without written consent. What Jesus Did! is written by Phil Ware and is available in book form. Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright ©1996, 2004, 2007, 2013, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Continue reading...
Not a ghost at all. It is the Lord in person who came back again and again. He is alive forever more, just as He said. Death could not keep Him in a cold tomb.

A riveting and compelling call to prayer shows you that your prayer life can be what God intends it to be. The child of God is driven to say, “I must pray, pray, pray. I must put all my energy and all my heart into prayer. Whatever else I do, I must pray.” This and other resources are now integrated into the Virtual Prayer Partner that you can interact with.

Similar Requests

• Article
Holding [the dead girl's] hand, [Jesus] said to her, "Talitha koum," which means "Little girl, get up!" And the girl, who was twelve years old, immediately stood up and walked around! [The girl's parents and the three disciples] were overwhelmed and totally amazed. Jesus gave them strict orders...
Replies
Views
  • Article
One of the criminals hanging beside [Jesus] scoffed, "So you're the Messiah, are you? Prove it by saving yourself — and us, too, while you're at it!" But the other criminal protested, "Don't you fear God even when you have been sentenced to die? We deserve to die for our crimes, but this man...
Replies
Views
  • Article
So [the women] rushed back from the tomb to tell his eleven disciples — and everyone else — what had happened. It was Mary Magdalene, Joanna, Mary the mother of James, and several other women who told the apostles what had happened. But the story sounded like nonsense to the men, so they didn't...
Replies
Views
  • Article
But very early on Sunday morning the women went to [Jesus'] tomb, taking the spices they had prepared. They found that the stone had been rolled away from the entrance. So they went in, but they didn't find the body of the Lord Jesus. As they stood there puzzled, two men suddenly appeared to...
Replies
Views
  • Article
As evening came, Jesus said to his disciples, "Let's cross to the other side of the lake." So they took Jesus in the boat and started out, leaving the crowds behind (although other boats followed). —Mark 4:35-36 NLT Key Thought Some things need to be shared in private. God's servants can't be...
Replies
Views
Your donations for running this web site are greatly appreciated.

Click To Make A Donation

Latest Blogs & Articles

Top Bottom