I am carrying a deep hurt

Your desire to forgive and to see this relationship healed is itself a work of God in your heart, and He sees the deep hurt you are carrying. It is painful when the most difficult relationship you have ever known is with your own brother, and it is right to bring that pain honestly before the Lord, because that hurt can become a barrier to walking closely with Him if it is left to harden.

Scripture gives us a picture of how God works in broken family relationships. When Joseph was sold by his brothers, years later they confessed among themselves that they were truly guilty concerning their brother, because they had seen the anguish of his soul when he begged them and they would not listen. Yet when Joseph finally revealed himself to them, he did not hold that guilt over them. He said, I am your brother whom you sold, but do not be grieved or angry with yourselves, for God sent me before you to preserve life. He was able to forgive completely because he saw a larger purpose, that God had been at work even through betrayal to bring about good. In the same way, your forgiveness does not deny that you were hurt or that your brother has acted in difficult ways. It is a choice to release the hurt and the negative thoughts into God's hands and to trust that He can use even this painful history for His purposes and for your healing.

There is also the example of Jacob and Esau. Jacob knew his brother hated him and had vowed to kill him, and when he heard his brother was coming to meet him with many men he was afraid and he prayed. Then God led him to take steps toward restoration not by demanding his rights, but by humbling himself, by blessing his brother with generous gifts, by speaking of his brother with honor and of himself as a servant, and finally by embracing him. That renewed relationship came through humility, through building up the other rather than tearing down, through sharing and through a willingness to take the lower place. Praying for wisdom for your situation means asking God to show you what it looks like to walk in that kind of humility and love, whether that means a kind word, a patient boundary, a gift of grace, or simply continuing to pray blessing over your brother when it would be easier to speak against him. Love seeks to build up.

God also asks us the question He asked Cain, where is your brother, not because He does not know, but because He wants honest confession from our hearts. When we acknowledge before Him our hurt, our anger, and also any part we have played, we give Him the basis to forgive and to cleanse us. If we confess our sins, He is faithful to forgive. A pure and peaceful heart does not come from trying to suppress the pain, but from bringing it openly to Jesus and letting Him heal and guard your soul.

Let us pray together for you in the name of Jesus Christ. Father, we ask You to heal this wounded heart and soul. Wash away the hurt and the recurring negative thoughts and give a heart that is pure and at peace. Grant wisdom to know how to respond to this brother with truth and grace, and intervene in this relationship according to Your will. Where restoration is possible, bring it about in Your way and time. Where protection is needed, be the shield against further hurt. Help to forgive fully as You have forgiven us, not in our own strength but by Your Spirit, so that nothing stands between this heart and closer fellowship with You. We ask this in the name of Jesus Christ, trusting that You hear and that You are able to preserve life and bring good even out of deep family pain. May the Lord keep you and give you His peace.
 

Latest Activity (auto refresh)

Loading…

Similar Requests

Elroy please help me carry my pregnancy till full term with no complications, I and my baby will not die, we will live to proclaim the goodness of the Lord. 2, the doctors are saying it's a girl I'm carrying, but I asked God for a boy, pls let me have a testimony. 3, my husband ### visa...
Replies
6
Views
559
It’s been a pattern in my life whenever I got into a romantic relationship, I always ended up getting hurt and alone, destroying myself mentally, emotionally, physically. In 2023, I went through one of the most traumatic incidents where one person came into my life, and we both shared all...
Replies
6
Views
342
Please cooperate with me! I would share this with my heart. Your insights, guidance would be deeply appreciated. I am ### from India. I am Hindu. Yes, I worshipped Hindu Gods, I kept fast for them, I went to temples, I celebrated all Hindu festivals & I read many mantras. By the grace of God...
Replies
8
Views
331
Your donations for running this web site are greatly appreciated.

Click To Make A Donation

Forum statistics

Threads
2,093,388
Messages
16,799,384
Members
649,900
Latest member
Thtoraestead

Latest Blogs & Articles

Back
Top Bottom