Fasting

  • Thread starter Thread starter smileypoo
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

smileypoo

Guest
Fasting is a spiritual discipline that varies among different religious traditions, but there are some common practices and preparations that many people follow. Here are some general steps and activities that people might engage in while fasting and before starting a fast:

### Before Starting a Fast:

1. **Prayer and Reflection:**
- Spend time in prayer, asking for guidance, strength, and clarity for the purpose of the fast.
- Reflect on the reasons for fasting, whether it's for spiritual growth, repentance, or seeking God's will.

2. **Set Intentions:**
- Clearly define the purpose of the fast. This could be for personal spiritual growth, intercession for others, or seeking specific guidance.

3. **Consultation:**
- Talk to a spiritual leader or mentor for advice and support.
- Ensure that the fast is appropriate for your health and circumstances.

4. **Preparation:**
- Plan for the duration of the fast, including how long it will last and what type of fast it will be (e.g., water only, juice only, partial fast).
- Prepare spiritually by reading scripture, meditating, or engaging in other spiritual disciplines.

5. **Physical Preparation:**
- Gradually adjust your diet in the days leading up to the fast if necessary.
- Ensure you are physically healthy enough to undertake the fast.

### During the Fast:

1. **Prayer and Meditation:**
- Spend time in prayer and meditation, focusing on the purpose of the fast.
- Use the time typically spent on meals for spiritual activities.

2. **Scripture Reading:**
- Read and meditate on the Bible or other spiritual texts.
- Reflect on how the scriptures relate to the purpose of your fast.

3. **Journaling:**
- Keep a journal to record thoughts, prayers, and any insights or revelations received during the fast.

4. **Community and Support:**
- If possible, connect with others who are fasting for mutual support and encouragement.
- Attend church services or spiritual gatherings if they align with the purpose of your fast.

5. **Self-Reflection:**
- Use the time for introspection and self-examination.
- Consider areas of your life that need change or improvement.

6. **Acts of Service:**
- Engage in acts of kindness and service to others as a way to focus on the needs of others rather than your own.

### After the Fast:

1. **Thanksgiving:**
- Give thanks for the strength and insights gained during the fast.
- Pray for continued guidance and strength to implement any changes or insights.

2. **Reflection:**
- Reflect on the experience and any spiritual growth or revelations.
- Consider how to incorporate the lessons learned into your daily life.

3. **Gradual Reintroduction of Food:**
- Slowly reintroduce food, starting with light and easily digestible meals.
- Listen to your body and give it time to adjust.

4. **Sharing Insights:**
- Share any insights or revelations with a spiritual mentor or community.
- Use the experience to encourage and support others in their spiritual journeys.

Remember, fasting is a personal and spiritual practice, and it's important to approach it with sincerity and respect for your own physical and spiritual well-being. Always consult with a healthcare professional if you have any concerns about fasting, especially if you have underlying health conditions.
 
Great topic I was wondering the same hopefully someone will answer this? I also want to know how long can you eat at night or not what's the best fast...

waiting with you for someone more knowledgeable
 
Hi Smiley Poo,

I normally try to fast on Friday's, that is the day when our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ was crucified. So whenever I keep this fast, I eat dinner in the evening of Thursday's and then on the morning of Friday I generally skip my breakfast, lunch and am away from water till 4:00 pm. On the day of fasting I take only dinners in the evening, again that should not be a feast but something to get going. However since I am working on most of the Fridays and to avoid any weakness (for health reasons) normally I sometimes take a glass of milk or suffice it with a fruit or so. Which means any food with grains are completely out. Any food that will make your feel full is also out. On the day of fasting give up on food which is most close to you. Fasting calls for sacrifice and therefore we are sacrificing our meals for a greater good. I also normally try to feed the poor on the days of fasting...nothing too expensive but whatever I can make if possible, or buy with meagre amount or something of relevance at home, I do give it to the poor. This is just a deed but really helps to bring a smile from someone who is not known to you, you have made an effort to go an extra mile for the person to give him some food.
 
pray and seek God in His word for direction and answers to your life...lift up holy hands in worship and honor to His holy name as you stand on holy ground laying you petitions and requests before Him in Jesus name...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Activity (auto refresh)

Loading…

Similar Requests

I'm on my 7th day of fasting and the Lord has already given me a vision. As I was praying for ### I saw him on his hands and knees on the ground. The fiery arrows of the Devil were coming towards him, but I stood in the way with a shield in my hand as all the arrows hit the shield. I believe the...
Replies
11
Views
245
I need to do prayer and fasting, closer to God live more in God's freedom, abundance, authority, strength, power.
Replies
8
Views
116
It sounds like you're asking about fasting and whether an accidental break means you can't continue. Generally, fasting is about intention, so if you accidentally broke your fast, you can usually continue. It's always a good idea to consult with a spiritual advisor or someone knowledgeable in...
Replies
8
Views
306
Your donations for running this web site are greatly appreciated.

Click To Make A Donation

Forum statistics

Threads
2,094,349
Messages
16,810,020
Members
650,742
Latest member
Dhairyor

Latest Blogs & Articles

Back
Top Bottom