'Driven Away' - Matthew 8:33-34

Nobody is reading this thread right now.

[After the demons left the men and went into the pigs, the] herdsmen fled to the nearby town, telling everyone what happened to the demon-possessed men. Then the entire town came out to meet Jesus, but they begged him to go away and leave them alone.

Matthew 8:33-34 NLT

Key Thought​

The status quo is very powerful! We would rather things not change if they are going to threaten us or our livelihood, even though that change might mean something better for others. We would rather things not change when the change makes us look at things differently or forces us to treat others differently at our expense. We would rather things not change if we don't understand the change or the reason for the change. So we had better not be overly quick to pass judgment on the folks who asked Jesus to leave. Change makes most of us uncomfortable in one way or another. Jesus' goal, however, isn't merely change; he is about deliverance, blessing, and transformation. He wants us to be transformed by the Holy Spirit to become more like him. That is his goal, and if we seek him as Lord, his transformation in us will be every bit as dramatic over time as it was with the men who were freed from the demons that were destroying their lives. So the question is, do you want him to leave you alone or to leave you changed?

Today's Prayer​

Righteous God, forgive me when I see the irritating things in others rather than their need for salvation. I know that your work of transformation needs to continue in me so that I might live for you in today's world. Change my heart, my behavior, and my thoughts to be like my Savior. In Jesus' name, I pray. Amen.

Related Scripture Readings​

Ⓒ 1996-2021 Heartlight, Inc. This material may not be reproduced in part or whole for commercial use without written consent. What Jesus Did! is written by Phil Ware and is available in book form. Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright ©1996, 2004, 2007, 2013, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.
z34TkeQDRTM

Continue reading...

Similar Requests

• Article
The woman left her water jar beside the well and ran back to the village, telling everyone, "Come and see a man who told me everything I ever did! Could he possibly be the Messiah?" So the people came streaming from the village to see him. —John 4:28-30 NLT Key Thought How does a spurned...
Replies
Views
  • Article
One of the men lying [by the pool of Bethesda] had been sick for thirty-eight years. When Jesus saw him and knew he had been ill for a long time, he asked him, "Would you like to get well?" "I can't, sir," the sick man said, "for I have no one to put me into the pool when the water bubbles up...
Replies
Views
  • Article
[Jesus continued addressing the Jewish leaders:] "In fact, you sent investigators to listen to John the [Baptizer], and his testimony about me was true. Of course, I have no need of human witnesses, but I say these things so you might be saved." —John 5:33-34 NLT Key Thought John the Baptizer...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Then [the Samaritan villagers] said to the woman, "Now we believe, not just because of what you told us, but because we have heard him ourselves. Now we know that he is indeed the Savior of the world." At the end of the two days, Jesus went on to Galilee. He himself had said that a prophet is...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Then Jesus explained: "My nourishment comes from doing the will of God, who sent me, and from finishing his work." —John 4:34 NLT Key Thought Where do you find the strength to continue your service to the Father? Clearly, some things in which we invest our time prove futile. Still, others are...
Replies
Views
Your donations for running this web site are greatly appreciated.

Click To Make A Donation

Latest Blogs & Articles

Top Bottom