Nobody is reading this thread right now.

Does Forgiveness Mean Reconciliation?​

dreamstime_s_154595732.jpg

Does forgiveness mean reconciliation? The quick answer: No. The reason is that forgiveness and reconciliation are two separate things. It is wonderful when relationships can be reconciled. However, that is not always possible or even safe for that matter. It is possible to forgive a perpetrator who harmed you or a family member, but a relationship might be dangerous. For instance, a mother may forgive the person who killed her daughter in a drunk driving accident, though it is doubtful she will pursue a friendship with him. The reason she will forgive him is because the pain and anger will eat her alive the rest of her life if she does not. This is hard forgiveness.

Before my brother died of his addiction, his drinking made him unsafe. I forgave him numerous times for his behavior but a relationship was not possible until he was sober. While these examples probably seem fairly obvious, how about the friend who betrayed you or the ex who had multiple affairs? Here is the deal. Reconciliation is not possible if the other person cannot acknowledge what they did. They have to really be sorry. They have to empathize with your pain and fully understand what they did, and be willing to do what it takes to make things right. If not, they can’t be trusted and they will most likely hurt you again. This is why people struggle to forgive. They think doing so will open the door to being walked on all over again. And it will if you try and reconcile with someone who is not sorry.

Sadly, sometimes other Christians (and the church) can blur the boundaries even more. Let’s say you start a wonderful ministry and a rather Narcissistic leader starts to take over. He begins to publicly attack you, turn others against you, and eventually pushes you out of the ministry altogether. Then, the pastor asks you: “have you forgiven him? Oh, and we are going to keep the ministry going because it helps so many people.” Meanwhile, you are curled up in a fetal position on the floor because you have just been crushed and now you are made to feel responsible because you haven’t immediately forgiven this imposter. Sound preposterous? I know, but I bet you’re thinking: “Wow! That is almost exactly what happened to me!” It’s because this sort of insanity happens all the time and most of us have been a victim of it.

I had a similar thing happen to me in a work situation. When I finally did meet with the person to see if reconciliation was possible, they said they were sorry for anything they had done to hurt me. When I explained what they had done, they denied all of it. That is called a fake apology. Or, an apology at your expense. When this happens the person can publicly proclaim they apologized and you are a big ‘Meany’ who has not forgiven them! By the way, narcissistic types do this sort of thing all the time. It’s hard to wrap your brain around, I know. Of course, you have forgiven them, you just know that reconciliation or friendship is not possible because they really do not think they have done anything wrong. You recognize that they will do the same thing to you again given the chance.

I hope this blog has helped. If you want a ton more information on this topic click this link and listen to my latest podcast Podcasts – Jodie Stevens with me and my dear friend Lori Lara as we delve deeper into the seas of forgiveness.

Thanks for reading my friend.

Forgiving is NOT weakness. It takes incredible strength to let go of an injustice and allow yourself to move on.
When you forgive, it does not mean forgetting or pretending something didn’t happen.
Forgiveness is not condoning or excusing bad behavior.

Most importantly, forgiveness is NOT reconciling.

We can forgive an offender without reestablishing the relationship.

There are people in my life I have forgiven but who are NOT a part of my life. There are people I have forgiven who ARE a part of my life but not necessarily in the same magnitude as before. Forgiveness and subsequent reconciliation are quite circumstantial. The future of the relationship depends on many moving parts. All the same, forgiveness is ALWAYS for us–it is letting go of the anger, hurt, and negative emotions that follows from being wronged or betrayed.

Then there's the ones you have to work with, you disapprove of the sin in their lifestyles,and the ones done to you, and it's a lifestyle, not a "slipup", but because you have to deal with them deal with, and communicate with, them on the job at times, you can't always"avoid"them to the extent as when not working together.

A riveting and compelling call to prayer shows you that your prayer life can be what God intends it to be. The child of God is driven to say, “I must pray, pray, pray. I must put all my energy and all my heart into prayer. Whatever else I do, I must pray.” This and other resources are now integrated into the Virtual Prayer Partner that you can interact with.

Does Forgiveness Mean Reconciliation?​

dreamstime_s_154595732.jpg

Does forgiveness mean reconciliation? The quick answer: No. The reason is that forgiveness and reconciliation are two separate things. It is wonderful when relationships can be reconciled. However, that is not always possible or even safe for that matter. It is possible to forgive a perpetrator who harmed you or a family member, but a relationship might be dangerous. For instance, a mother may forgive the person who killed her daughter in a drunk driving accident, though it is doubtful she will pursue a friendship with him. The reason she will forgive him is because the pain and anger will eat her alive the rest of her life if she does not. This is hard forgiveness.

Before my brother died of his addiction, his drinking made him unsafe. I forgave him numerous times for his behavior but a relationship was not possible until he was sober. While these examples probably seem fairly obvious, how about the friend who betrayed you or the ex who had multiple affairs? Here is the deal. Reconciliation is not possible if the other person cannot acknowledge what they did. They have to really be sorry. They have to empathize with your pain and fully understand what they did, and be willing to do what it takes to make things right. If not, they can’t be trusted and they will most likely hurt you again. This is why people struggle to forgive. They think doing so will open the door to being walked on all over again. And it will if you try and reconcile with someone who is not sorry.

Sadly, sometimes other Christians (and the church) can blur the boundaries even more. Let’s say you start a wonderful ministry and a rather Narcissistic leader starts to take over. He begins to publicly attack you, turn others against you, and eventually pushes you out of the ministry altogether. Then, the pastor asks you: “have you forgiven him? Oh, and we are going to keep the ministry going because it helps so many people.” Meanwhile, you are curled up in a fetal position on the floor because you have just been crushed and now you are made to feel responsible because you haven’t immediately forgiven this imposter. Sound preposterous? I know, but I bet you’re thinking: “Wow! That is almost exactly what happened to me!” It’s because this sort of insanity happens all the time and most of us have been a victim of it.

I had a similar thing happen to me in a work situation. When I finally did meet with the person to see if reconciliation was possible, they said they were sorry for anything they had done to hurt me. When I explained what they had done, they denied all of it. That is called a fake apology. Or, an apology at your expense. When this happens the person can publicly proclaim they apologized and you are a big ‘Meany’ who has not forgiven them! By the way, narcissistic types do this sort of thing all the time. It’s hard to wrap your brain around, I know. Of course, you have forgiven them, you just know that reconciliation or friendship is not possible because they really do not think they have done anything wrong. You recognize that they will do the same thing to you again given the chance.

I hope this blog has helped. If you want a ton more information on this topic click this link and listen to my latest podcast Podcasts – Jodie Stevens with me and my dear friend Lori Lara as we delve deeper into the seas of forgiveness.

Thanks for reading my friend.
Dear Lord, forgive me all my sins I pray. I want to reconcile with my boss who always on me and does things that despleases You. I want to live a life that pleases You above all things. Help me forgive all my coworkers who gossip so much. Save them, help them we pray. Amen

Similar Requests

Dear God, I am reaching for your utmost help in handling Karl for me. I am surrendering this person to you. I lift him up to you, Lord. Yes, I am trauma bonded with this guy and I am secretly waiting for him to come back around. I know this does not make any sense at all because of how badly...
Replies
Views
Lord, please, may my dad value me as a person again... may he stop listening to the advice of other people that have only ruined our relationship, may he stop listening to their assumptions about me and listen to who I am like he used to before they decided to destroy our relationship because...
Replies
Views
  • Article
This post was originally titled 4 Principles Christian Bloggers should affirm about sex. Several times since, I’ve thought that was far too narrow. Rather, all Christians should understand and embrace these principles—the four I’m sharing (again) today and the three I’ll share next week. From...
Replies
Views
  • Article
In the last few weeks, I’ve received three separate questions from wives that overlap in their tone. Summarizing what they asked about: Doesn’t a husband need oral sex to be sexually satisfied? How can I handle a husband who persists in wanting to be pegged (defined below)? Is a wife in the...
Replies
Views
Lets please also continue to pray for the following: 1. Persecuted Christians around the world (staggering rise of persecution in recent years....260 million in 2019 and now even 365 million as per some reports and according to a recent British government report at genocidal levels in some...
Replies
Views
Your donations for running this web site are greatly appreciated.

Click To Make A Donation

Latest Blogs & Articles

Top Bottom