'Condemning Eyes' - Mark 3:2

Nobody is reading this thread right now.

Since it was the Sabbath, Jesus' enemies watched him closely. If he healed the man's hand, they planned to accuse him of working on the Sabbath.

Mark 3:2 NLT

Key Thought​

The opposites of Jesus' compassionate eyes (see Mark 3:1 and yesterday's devotional) were the condemning and critical eyes of Jesus' opponents. They were looking to use the occasion of this man's healing on the Sabbath to be the basis of their arrest and condemnation of Jesus. In other words, the man's humanity was forgotten; he was no more than a prop for the opponents of Jesus to use in their drama of anti-Jesus hatred. If we are honest with ourselves, we'll recognize that we can get so caught up in justifying, defending, and protecting our religiosity that we become blind to the needs of those around us for God's grace. Truth is then abandoned in the name of preservation. God forbid that it should ever be so in us!

Today's Prayer​

Father, please don't let me ever become so focused on my religious self-preservation that I forget my search for your truth and abandon the character of your Son. In Jesus' name, I pray. Amen.

Related Scripture Readings​

Ⓒ 1996-2024 Heartlight, Inc. This material may not be reproduced in part or whole for commercial use without written consent. What Jesus Did! is written by Phil Ware and is available in book form. Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright ©1996, 2004, 2007, 2013, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Continue reading...

Similar Requests

• Article
A deaf man with a speech impediment was brought to [Jesus], and the people begged Jesus to lay his hands on the man to heal him. Jesus led him away from the crowd so they could be alone. He put his fingers into the man's ears. Then, spitting on his own fingers, he touched the man's tongue...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Then [Jesus] climbed into the boat, and the wind stopped. [The disciples] were totally amazed, for they still didn't understand the significance of the miracle of the loaves. Their hearts were too hard to take it in. —Mark 6:51-52 NLT Key Thought The disciples couldn't get it! Maybe they...
Replies
Views
  • Article
[Jesus said,] "So the Son of Man is Lord, even over the Sabbath!" —Mark 2:28 NLT Key Thought Jesus is LORD! He has authority over everything! He is the Master and Commander of all things (Ephesians 1:21-22). His word, his teaching, his will about the Sabbath form the basis of our truth. So...
Replies
Views
  • Article
[After the disciples distributed the seven loaves of bread and the few fish to people in the crowd, they] ate as much as they wanted. Afterward, the disciples picked up seven large baskets of leftover food. There were about 4,000 men in the crowd that day, and Jesus sent them home after they had...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Then Jesus went into a house to get away from the crowd, and his disciples asked him what he meant by the parable he had just used. "Don't you understand either?" he asked. "Can't you see that the food you put into your body cannot defile you? Food doesn't go into your heart, but only passes...
Replies
Views
Your donations for running this web site are greatly appreciated.

Click To Make A Donation

Latest Blogs & Articles

Top Bottom