'Choosing the Criminal over Christ' - John 18:39-40

Nobody is reading this thread right now.

[Pilate said to the crowd,] "But you have a custom of asking me to release one prisoner each year at Passover. Would you like me to release this 'King of the Jews'?"
But they shouted back, "No! Not this man. We want Barabbas!" (Barabbas was a revolutionary.)

John 18:39-40 NLT

Key Thought​

At first glance, we look at the choice made by the people on this horrible day when they called for Barabbas to be released and Jesus crucified [1] and wonder how they could do it. However, when we take a long look at ourselves, we are struck by the many times we have chosen other things over Christ in our lives. In fact, that is what sin is — choosing something we want over the will and the work of Jesus! So today, let's be humbled and reminded how fickle we can be. One day we are shouting hosannas and hallelujahs to Jesus, [2] and a short time later we are choosing something totally opposite to Jesus. Let's not trade the lordship of Christ in our lives for anything else, for that would be ... sinful!

[1] John 19:6.
[2] Jesus' Triumphant Entry into Jerusalem (John 12:12-15) was just a few days before his trial before Pilate.

Today's Prayer​

Give me an undivided heart, O God, and help me follow my Lord Jesus Christ with passion and perseverance. Open my eyes to the many things that would distract me from my commitment to Christ, and give me the strength to stay away from them and to keep my focus on Jesus. In Jesus' name, I pray. Amen.

Related Scripture Readings​

Ⓒ 1996-2022 Heartlight, Inc. This material may not be reproduced in part or whole for commercial use without written consent. What Jesus Did! is written by Phil Ware and is available in book form. Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright ©1996, 2004, 2007, 2013, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Continue reading...

I see and have experienced myself this type of pattern.Someone is doing good for someone, another either doesn't care about them , or outright is up to no good with them, yet they mistreat the sincere one, and run to the "bad" one. I don't know what causes this kind of bad judgement.

[Pilate said to the crowd,] "But you have a custom of asking me to release one prisoner each year at Passover. Would you like me to release this 'King of the Jews'?"
But they shouted back, "No! Not this man. We want Barabbas!" (Barabbas was a revolutionary.)

John 18:39-40 NLT

Key Thought​

At first glance, we look at the choice made by the people on this horrible day when they called for Barabbas to be released and Jesus crucified [1] and wonder how they could do it. However, when we take a long look at ourselves, we are struck by the many times we have chosen other things over Christ in our lives. In fact, that is what sin is — choosing something we want over the will and the work of Jesus! So today, let's be humbled and reminded how fickle we can be. One day we are shouting hosannas and hallelujahs to Jesus, [2] and a short time later we are choosing something totally opposite to Jesus. Let's not trade the lordship of Christ in our lives for anything else, for that would be ... sinful!

[1] John 19:6.
[2] Jesus' Triumphant Entry into Jerusalem (John 12:12-15) was just a few days before his trial before Pilate.

Today's Prayer​

Give me an undivided heart, O God, and help me follow my Lord Jesus Christ with passion and perseverance. Open my eyes to the many things that would distract me from my commitment to Christ, and give me the strength to stay away from them and to keep my focus on Jesus. In Jesus' name, I pray. Amen.

Related Scripture Readings​

Ⓒ 1996-2022 Heartlight, Inc. This material may not be reproduced in part or whole for commercial use without written consent. What Jesus Did! is written by Phil Ware and is available in book form. Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright ©1996, 2004, 2007, 2013, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Continue reading...
Humanity on earth that are not saved will always choose the wrong things and harm will come to innocent people. Only Jesus can give us wisdom from heaven to choose what is rigth and do what He command us in His word. Always choos to do the right thing and God will bless your life.

"Oh the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God!" Read about the deep things of God and the riches of his grace. This and other resources are now integrated into the Virtual Prayer Partner that you can interact with.
Wrong choice. We must choose always the good deeds done to others and behaviors that are pleasing to God. Criminals need to get saved while those good people who are slandered and in prison should be free.

Similar Requests

• Article
[After Pilate pronounced Jesus innocent,] a mighty roar rose from the crowd, and with one voice they shouted, "Kill him, and release Barabbas to us!" (Barabbas was in prison for taking part in an insurrection in Jerusalem against the government, and for murder.) Pilate argued with them, because...
Replies
Views
  • Article
When [Jesus and the others] came to the home of the synagogue leader, Jesus saw much commotion and weeping and wailing. He went inside and asked, "Why all this commotion and weeping? The child isn't dead; she's only asleep." —Mark 5:38-39 NLT Key Thought One of the ways early Christians...
Replies
Views
  • Article
The crowd laughed at [Jesus when he said the girl was just sleeping]. But he made them all leave, and he took the girl's father and mother and his three disciples into the room where the girl was lying. Holding her hand, he said to her, "Talitha koum," which means "Little girl, get up!" —Mark...
Replies
Views
  • Article
When Jesus woke up [in the storm-tossed boat], he rebuked the wind and said to the waves, "Silence! Be still!" Suddenly the wind stopped, and there was a great calm. —Mark 4:39 NLT Key Thought "'Silence! Be still!' ... and there was a great calm." Just as in that terrifying storm for the...
Replies
Views
  • Article
After some time Paul said to Barnabas, "Let's go back and visit each city where we previously preached the word of the Lord, to see how the new believers are doing." Barnabas agreed and wanted to take along John Mark. But Paul disagreed strongly, since John Mark had deserted them in Pamphylia...
Replies
Views
Your donations for running this web site are greatly appreciated.

Click To Make A Donation

Latest Blogs & Articles

Top Bottom