'Authority, Part 2' - Matthew 9:9

Nobody is reading this thread right now.

As Jesus was walking along, he saw a man named Matthew sitting at his tax collector's booth. "Follow me and be my disciple," Jesus said to him. So Matthew got up and followed him.

Matthew 9:9 NLT

Key Thought​

Not only does Jesus have the authority to forgive sins, he also has the authority to call sinners to follow him. Fortunately, some respond with a change of heart and behavior and follow. A classic example is Matthew, the tax collector — tax collectors in Jesus day were renowned for using their position for personal gain and were viewed as traitors who sold out to the Roman occupiers. Matthew is a great witness that Jesus cares for all and goes in search of all. He is a great reminder that redemptive love allows no cultural or social barriers to love. Matthew's response is a great reminder that many sinners are looking for a Savior. All they need is someone to show them how to get him.

Today's Prayer​

Holy and merciful God, thank you for coming to this world to save sinners. I thank you for the grace you've given to me. Please help me be more gracious to others and come closer to your grace and forgiveness. In Jesus' name, I pray. Amen.

Related Scripture Readings​

Ⓒ 1996-2021 Heartlight, Inc. This material may not be reproduced in part or whole for commercial use without written consent. What Jesus Did! is written by Phil Ware and is available in book form. Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright ©1996, 2004, 2007, 2013, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.
LVxTnelA4qs

Continue reading...

Similar Requests

• Article
Later, as Jesus left [Capernaum], he saw a tax collector named Levi sitting at his tax collector's booth. "Follow me and be my disciple," Jesus said to him. So Levi got up, left everything, and followed him. Later, Levi held a banquet in his home with Jesus as the guest of honor. Many of Levi's...
Replies
Views
  • Article
[After the attempt in Nazareth to kill him,] Jesus went to Capernaum, a town in Galilee, and taught there in the synagogue every Sabbath day. There, too, the people were amazed at his teaching, for he spoke with authority. —Luke 4:31-32 NLT Key Thought There are at least three types of...
Replies
Views
  • Article
The teachers of religious law and the Pharisees watched Jesus closely. If he healed the man's hand, they planned to accuse him of working on the Sabbath. But Jesus knew their thoughts. He said to the man with the deformed hand, "Come and stand in front of everyone." So the man came forward...
Replies
Views
  • Article
[Jesus'] parents didn't know what to think [when he stayed in Jerusalem]. "Son," his mother said to him, "why have you done this to us? Your father and I have been frantic, searching for you everywhere." "But why did you need to search?" he asked. "Didn't you know that I must be in my Father's...
Replies
Views
  • Article
When the crowds came to John for baptism, he said, "You brood of snakes! Who warned you to flee the coming wrath? Prove by the way you live that you have repented of your sins and turned to God. Don't just say to each other, 'We're safe, for we are descendants of Abraham.' That means nothing...
Replies
Views
Your donations for running this web site are greatly appreciated.

Click To Make A Donation

Latest Blogs & Articles

Top Bottom