A BAD SERMON

Nobody is reading this thread right now.

GLORIOUS SABBATH DAY PEOPLE OF GOD

Have you ever heard a bad sermon? The one that seem to be never ending. It just goes on, and on…and on?

About a year, or so, ago, I encountered a young man who, espousing my tormentors’ teachings, took me to task publicly, regarding one of my posts. Now, with so little adherence, it didn’t then, and still doesn’t now, seem that anyone is reading them: But, we know better. The young man literally rebuked me for saying that Jesus had been kicked out of the temple. “Jesus put them out!,” he yelled. Facts. Still, I tried to reason with him. But, soon discerning his spirit, I left him to his own understanding; consoling myself that he was speaking from his youth. Recently, after posting a similar entry, I encountered a similar response; howbeit, this time from adults, who seemed to be of the temple (church folk). Apparently, my “presumed” error in teaching, gives them the right to steal from the Holy Spirit. IT DOES NOT.

Now, anyone who has given ear to my journey, knows that I have not been shy about asking God for understanding. Perhaps I had misinterpreted the scripture. So, I asked. READ IT AGAIN, was the response. So, I did. I started with the King James Version. Many are of the mindset, as I myself once was, that if it ain’t KJV, it ain’t authentic. But, the truth is, the KJV is not the original. The original verses, according to historians, were scripted in Hebrew, etched on tablets of stone. Nevertheless, as I have mentioned before, the KJV, while poetically melodic, can sometimes be a bit difficult to decipher. So, consulted one of my favorite study translations: The Message Bible. You have to be ready for the MSG: It is quite raw, and can be somewhat off-putting for the unsuspecting reader. I'll just let Jesus do the preaching…

Luke 4:16-28

He came to Nazareth where he had been reared. As he always did on the Sabbath, he went to the meeting place. When he stood up to read, he was handed the scroll of the prophet Isaiah. Unrolling the scroll, he found the place where it was written,

God's Spirit is on me; he's chosen me to preach the Message of good news to the poor, sent me to announce pardon to prisoners and recovery of sight to the blind, to set the burdened and battered free, to announce, "This is God's year to act!"

He rolled up the scroll, handed it back to the assistant, and sat down. Every eye in the place was on him, intent. Then he started in, "You've just heard Scripture make history. It came true just now in this place." All who were there, watching and listening, were surprised at how well he spoke. But they also said, "Isn't this Joseph's son, the one we've known since he was a youngster?" He answered, "I suppose you're going to quote the proverb, 'Doctor, go heal yourself. Do here in your hometown what we heard you did in Capernaum.' Well, let me tell you something: No prophet is ever welcomed in his hometown. Isn't it a fact that there were many widows in Israel at the time of Elijah during that three and a half years of drought when famine devastated the land, but the only widow to whom Elijah was sent was in Sarepta in Sidon? And there were many lepers in Israel at the time of the prophet Elisha but the only one cleansed was Naaman the Syrian." That set everyone in the meeting place seething with anger. They threw him out, banishing him from the village, then took him to a mountain cliff at the edge of the village to throw him to his doom, but he gave them the slip and was on his way.

That must’ve been one bad sermon. Not only was Jesus thrown out of the temple, they literally tried to kill him – over a sermon?! Though He most definitely went to Nazareth to heal, deliver, and set free; howbeit, it was because of unbelief (disrespect, dishonor), that Jesus did almost no miracles in His own hometown. Imagine that, the towns people were angry because they couldn't force Jesus to bless them, so they responded in vengeance and violence.

Even if there is error in doctrine, that’s between God and His messenger. The only justification for casting a disciple out and trampling them underfoot, is in the case of backsliding (salt has lost it’s flavor). I believe the Bible uses adultery, watering down the Word, and selling out for profit, as a few key examples of one who has backslidden. There is never, ever justification for trampling over, or stealing from the Holy Spirit. NEVER.

God defends those of us who remain steadfast (loyal) to Christ, and to our calling, despite man’s opinions, threats, or actions. For as itbis written: He suffered no man to do them wrong: yea, he reproved kings for their sakes; Saying, Touch not mine anointed, and do my prophets no harm. (Psalms 105:14-15)
God will even punish leaders for our sakes.
📖

Recommended Reading: Matthew 21:28-32 “Your word is your bond” I will get detail about this in upcoming posts.

Only Jesus can make things right and bright in our eyes and the eyes of unbelievers. We must fast and pray before the Lord for infilling of the Holy Spirit of God for our pastor, Sunday school teachers and those who work in church activities. Only Jesus can bring joy and happiness to our heart and mind. Without Him any sermon will be useless and unfulfilling.

"Oh the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God!" Read about the deep things of God and the riches of his grace. This and other resources are now integrated into the Virtual Prayer Partner that you can interact with.

Have you ever heard a bad sermon? The one that seem to be never ending. It just goes on, and on…and on?

About a year, or so, ago, I encountered a young man who, espousing my tormentors’ teachings, took me to task publicly, regarding one of my posts. Now, with so little adherence, it didn’t then, and still doesn’t now, seem that anyone is reading them: But, we know better. The young man literally rebuked me for saying that Jesus had been kicked out of the temple. “Jesus put them out!,” he yelled. Facts. Still, I tried to reason with him. But, soon discerning his spirit, I left him to his own understanding; consoling myself that he was speaking from his youth. Recently, after posting a similar entry, I encountered a similar response; howbeit, this time from adults, who seemed to be of the temple (church folk). Apparently, my “presumed” error in teaching, gives them the right to steal from the Holy Spirit. IT DOES NOT.

Now, anyone who has given ear to my journey, knows that I have not been shy about asking God for understanding. Perhaps I had misinterpreted the scripture. So, I asked. READ IT AGAIN, was the response. So, I did. I started with the King James Version. Many are of the mindset, as I myself once was, that if it ain’t KJV, it ain’t authentic. But, the truth is, the KJV is not the original. The original verses, according to historians, were scripted in Hebrew, etched on tablets of stone. Nevertheless, as I have mentioned before, the KJV, while poetically melodic, can sometimes be a bit difficult to decipher. So, consulted one of my favorite study translations: The Message Bible. You have to be ready for the MSG: It is quite raw, and can be somewhat off-putting for the unsuspecting reader. I'll just let Jesus do the preaching…

He came to Nazareth where he had been reared. As he always did on the Sabbath, he went to the meeting place. When he stood up to read, he was handed the scroll of the prophet Isaiah. Unrolling the scroll, he found the place where it was written,

God's Spirit is on me; he's chosen me to preach the Message of good news to the poor, sent me to announce pardon to prisoners and recovery of sight to the blind, to set the burdened and battered free, to announce, "This is God's year to act!"

He rolled up the scroll, handed it back to the assistant, and sat down. Every eye in the place was on him, intent. Then he started in, "You've just heard Scripture make history. It came true just now in this place." All who were there, watching and listening, were surprised at how well he spoke. But they also said, "Isn't this Joseph's son, the one we've known since he was a youngster?" He answered, "I suppose you're going to quote the proverb, 'Doctor, go heal yourself. Do here in your hometown what we heard you did in Capernaum.' Well, let me tell you something: No prophet is ever welcomed in his hometown. Isn't it a fact that there were many widows in Israel at the time of Elijah during that three and a half years of drought when famine devastated the land, but the only widow to whom Elijah was sent was in Sarepta in Sidon? And there were many lepers in Israel at the time of the prophet Elisha but the only one cleansed was Naaman the Syrian." That set everyone in the meeting place seething with anger. They threw him out, banishing him from the village, then took him to a mountain cliff at the edge of the village to throw him to his doom, but he gave them the slip and was on his way.

That must’ve been one bad sermon. Not only was Jesus thrown out of the temple, they literally tried to kill him – over a sermon?! Though He most definitely went to Nazareth to heal, deliver, and set free; howbeit, it was because of unbelief (disrespect, dishonor), that Jesus did almost no miracles in His own hometown. Imagine that, the towns people were angry because they couldn't force Jesus to bless them, so they responded in vengeance and violence.

Even if there is error in doctrine, that’s between God and His messenger. The only justification for casting a disciple out and trampling them underfoot, is in the case of backsliding (salt has lost it’s flavor). I believe the Bible uses adultery, watering down the Word, and selling out for profit, as a few key examples of one who has backslidden. There is never, ever justification for trampling over, or stealing from the Holy Spirit. NEVER.

God defends those of us who remain steadfast (loyal) to Christ, and to our calling, despite man’s opinions, threats, or actions. For as itbis written: He suffered no man to do them wrong: yea, he reproved kings for their sakes; Saying, Touch not mine anointed, and do my prophets no harm. (Psalms 105:14-15)

📖

Recommended Reading: Matthew 21:28-32 “Your word is your bond” I will get detail about this in upcoming posts.
When Gods Spirit is in any sermon there would not be any bad one. So, fast and pray daily for your pastor to be filled with the Holy Spirit of God so Gods word will touch the hearts of those who came to hear God speaking to our hearts.

📖

Dear Lord, send wonderful sermons so people will be blessed and helped and healed when they hear Gods word coming to all of them who attend church faithfully.

Similar Requests

• Article
It was not a good day, threats of war, and the hope of peace seemed dismal, at least for now. The enemy was knocking at the gate threatening to inflict war if their demands were not met. Reminding Hezekiah that he and his army were no match for their powerhouse army as they had defeated other...
Replies
Views
  • Article
It is in the moments of greatest trial that we find our greatest need to follow in his steps. For to this you have been called, because Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps. He committed no sin; no guile was found on his lips. When he was...
Replies
Views
  • Article
The two advents of Christ by Charles Spurgeon ‘And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment: So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.’ Hebrews 9:27–28 Suggested...
Replies
Views
  • Article
This is the deepest desire of all saints of God who came this morning to church to honor, to praise and glorify the Lord. His holy presence was so real and sick people were healed, those possesed by satan were delivered and we all started to praise and honor the Lord for the wonderful things...
Replies
Views
  • Article
To The Cities That Have Ears To Hear: It's all a matter of belief... God is neither confused about His Word, nor does His Word cause confusion. For those who have ears to hear (willing to receive with understanding), God’s Word is crystal clear. If at any time clarity is needed, He invites...
Replies
Views
Your donations for running this web site are greatly appreciated.

Click To Make A Donation

Latest Blogs & Articles

Top Bottom