31 October 2023 - Under God’s Wings

Nobody is reading this thread right now.

Copyright © Werethurange Bible Study • PrayerRequest. All rights reserved.

Bible in a Year:
Jeremiah 22–23, Titus 1

I long to dwell in your tent forever and take refuge in the shelter of your wings. - Psalm 61:4

There are several Canada goose families with baby geese at the pond near our home. The little goslings are so fluffy and cute; it’s hard not to watch them when I go for a walk or run around the pond. But I’ve learned to avoid eye contact and give the geese a wide berth—otherwise, I risk a protective goose parent suspecting a threat and hissing and chasing me!

The image of a bird protecting her young is one that Scripture uses to describe God’s tender, protective love for His children (Psalm 91:4). In Psalm 61, David seems to be struggling to experience God’s care in this way. He’d experienced God as his “refuge, a strong tower” (v. 3), but now he called desperately “from the ends of the earth”, pleading, “lead me to the rock that is higher than I” (v. 2). He longed to once more “take refuge in the shelter of [God’s] wings” (v. 4).

And in bringing his pain and struggles to God, David took comfort in knowing that He’d heard him (v. 5). Because of God’s faithfulness, he knew he would “ever sing in praise of [His] name” (v. 8).

Like the psalmist, when we feel distant from God’s love, we can run back to His arms to be assured that even in our pain, He’s with us, protecting and caring for us as fiercely as a mother bird guards her young.

Reflect & Pray
How does it encourage you to remember God’s protective care for you? How have you experienced His care?

Do you want your YouTube video to be in my next blog entry? You can email dilan.demarco@deercreeks.org with your YouTube video link/URL.

Dear God, thank You for Your fierce, protective love for me. Help me to rest securely in Your tender care.

Bible in a Year:
Jeremiah 22–23, Titus 1

I long to dwell in your tent forever and take refuge in the shelter of your wings. - Psalm 61:4

There are several Canada goose families with baby geese at the pond near our home. The little goslings are so fluffy and cute; it’s hard not to watch them when I go for a walk or run around the pond. But I’ve learned to avoid eye contact and give the geese a wide berth—otherwise, I risk a protective goose parent suspecting a threat and hissing and chasing me!

The image of a bird protecting her young is one that Scripture uses to describe God’s tender, protective love for His children (Psalm 91:4). In Psalm 61, David seems to be struggling to experience God’s care in this way. He’d experienced God as his “refuge, a strong tower” (v. 3), but now he called desperately “from the ends of the earth”, pleading, “lead me to the rock that is higher than I” (v. 2). He longed to once more “take refuge in the shelter of [God’s] wings” (v. 4).

And in bringing his pain and struggles to God, David took comfort in knowing that He’d heard him (v. 5). Because of God’s faithfulness, he knew he would “ever sing in praise of [His] name” (v. 8).

Like the psalmist, when we feel distant from God’s love, we can run back to His arms to be assured that even in our pain, He’s with us, protecting and caring for us as fiercely as a mother bird guards her young.

Reflect & Pray
How does it encourage you to remember God’s protective care for you? How have you experienced His care?

Dear God, thank You for Your fierce, protective love for me. Help me to rest securely in Your tender care.
Bring us o Lord to Your house to worship and adore Your holy name. May the precious Holy Spirit of God fill us with power from on high so we can continue to love God more than ever before and love our neighbors just as Jesus loved us.

Do you know how to pray? Read this powerful compilation of Spurgeon, Ryle, Bunyan and others. Includes titles such as Continue in Prayer, Hindrances to Prayer, and What True Prayer Is. This and other resources are now integrated into the Virtual Prayer Partner that you can interact with.
We declare Your majesty o Lord, we proclaim that Your name is exalted, for Your reign is magnificent You rule victorious, Your power is shown all over the earth. Let us all live under the majesty of the Lord Jesus Christ who gave Himself on the cross for us.

Similar Requests

• Article
Bible in a Year : Leviticus 11–12 , Matthew 26:1–25 I will praise you, Lord, among the nations; I will sing the praises of your name. - 2 Samuel 22:50 Throughout her historic seventy years as Britain’s ruler, Queen Elizabeth II only endorsed only one biography about her life with a personal...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Bible in a Year : Joshua 10–12 , Luke 1:39–56 Let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth. 1 John 3:18 What would cause someone to help a competitor? For a restaurant owner named Adrian, it was the opportunity to encourage other struggling local restaurant owners...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Bible in a Year: Ezekiel 8–10 , Hebrews 13 Then the Lord said to Cain, “Could you be angry?” - Genesis 4:6 He did many things well, but there was a problem. Everyone saw it. Yet because he was so effective in accomplishing most of his role, his anger issue wasn’t adequately addressed. He was...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Bible in a Year : Hosea 1–4, Revelation 1 I will not forget you! - Isaiah 49:15 As a child, I collected postage stamps. When my angkong (Fukienese for “grandfather”) heard of my hobby, he started saving stamps from post deliveries to his office every day. Whenever I visited my grandparents...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Bible in a Year: Isaiah 37–38,Colossians 3 May [God] give you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better. Ephesians 1:17 In 2001, a premature baby named Christopher Duffley surprised doctors by surviving. At five months old, he entered the foster care system until his...
Replies
Views
Your donations for running this web site are greatly appreciated.

Click To Make A Donation

Latest Blogs & Articles

Top Bottom