2 December 2023 - Building Up Goodwill

Nobody is reading this thread right now.

Copyright © Werethurange Bible Study • PrayerRequest. All rights reserved.

Bible in a Year:
Ezekiel 42–44 , 1 John 1

From [Christ] the whole body . . . grows and builds itself up in love, as each part does its work.
Ephesians 4:16

When we think of best business practices, what first comes to mind probably aren’t qualities like kindness and generosity. But according to entrepreneur James Rhee, they should. In Rhee’s experience as CEO at a company on the brink of financial ruin, prioritising what he calls “goodwill”—a “culture of kindness” and a spirit of giving—saved the company and led to its flourishing. Putting these qualities at centre stage gave people the hope and motivation they needed to unify, innovate and problem-solve. Rhee explains that “goodwill . . . is a real asset that can compound and be amplified.”

In daily life too, it’s easy to think of qualities like kindness as vague and intangible, afterthoughts to our other priorities. But, as the apostle Paul taught, such qualities matter most of all.

Writing to new believers, Paul emphasised that the purpose of believers’ lives is transformation through the Spirit into mature members of the body of Christ (Ephesians 4:15). To that end, every word and every action has value only if it builds up and benefits others (v. 29). Transformation in Jesus can only happen through daily prioritising kindness, compassion and forgiveness (v. 32).

When the Holy Spirit draws us to other believers in Christ, we grow and mature as we learn from one another.

Reflect & Pray
Why do you think we often fail to see the tangible impact of goodwill? How can you make a habit of prioritising kindness?

Dear God, teach me daily what truly matters—the love poured out through Your Son.

Do you know how to pray? Read this powerful compilation of Spurgeon, Ryle, Bunyan and others. Includes titles such as Continue in Prayer, Hindrances to Prayer, and What True Prayer Is. This and other resources are now integrated into the Virtual Prayer Partner that you can interact with.
Bible in a Year:
Ezekiel 42–44 , 1 John 1

From [Christ] the whole body . . . grows and builds itself up in love, as each part does its work.
Ephesians 4:16

When we think of best business practices, what first comes to mind probably aren’t qualities like kindness and generosity. But according to entrepreneur James Rhee, they should. In Rhee’s experience as CEO at a company on the brink of financial ruin, prioritising what he calls “goodwill”—a “culture of kindness” and a spirit of giving—saved the company and led to its flourishing. Putting these qualities at centre stage gave people the hope and motivation they needed to unify, innovate and problem-solve. Rhee explains that “goodwill . . . is a real asset that can compound and be amplified.”

In daily life too, it’s easy to think of qualities like kindness as vague and intangible, afterthoughts to our other priorities. But, as the apostle Paul taught, such qualities matter most of all.

Writing to new believers, Paul emphasised that the purpose of believers’ lives is transformation through the Spirit into mature members of the body of Christ (Ephesians 4:15). To that end, every word and every action has value only if it builds up and benefits others (v. 29). Transformation in Jesus can only happen through daily prioritising kindness, compassion and forgiveness (v. 32).

When the Holy Spirit draws us to other believers in Christ, we grow and mature as we learn from one another.

Reflect & Pray
Why do you think we often fail to see the tangible impact of goodwill? How can you make a habit of prioritising kindness?

Dear God, teach me daily what truly matters—the love poured out through Your Son.
The will of the Father is for us to be filled with the precious Holy Spirit of God so we will be empowered from on high and share the Lords will for our life.

Similar Requests

• Article
Bible in a Year : Zechariah 9–12 , Revelation 20 Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him. - James 1:12 Twelve-year-old Lee Adianez Rodriguez-Espada was worried...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Bible in a Year: Isaiah 32–33 , Colossians 1 Clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. - Colossians 3:12 Have you heard of #slowfashion? The hashtag captures a movement focused on resisting ‘fast fashion’—an industry dominated by cheaply made and quickly...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering. —Colossians 3:12 (KJV) Thoughts on Today's Verse... What an incredible thought! We are dearly loved as God's chosen and holy children. No wonder God calls us to a...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Bible in a Year : Micah 4–5,Revelation 12 Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Saviour and my God. Psalm 42:11 My mother’s shiny red cross should have been hanging next to her bed at the cancer care centre. And I should have been preparing for holiday visits between her...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Bible in a Year : Hosea 1–4, Revelation 1 I will not forget you! - Isaiah 49:15 As a child, I collected postage stamps. When my angkong (Fukienese for “grandfather”) heard of my hobby, he started saving stamps from post deliveries to his office every day. Whenever I visited my grandparents...
Replies
Views
Your donations for running this web site are greatly appreciated.

Click To Make A Donation

Latest Blogs & Articles

Top Bottom