What Jesus Did

Follow along with What Jesus Did by Heartlight.

New Wine - Matthew 9:16-17

Key Passage
"When a person sews a patch over a hole on an old coat, he never uses a piece of cloth that is not yet shrunk. If he does, the patch will {shrink and} pull away from the coat. Then the hole will be worse. Also, people never pour new wine into old wine bags. Why? Because the old bags will break. The wine will spill, and the wine bags will be ruined. But people always pour new wine into new wine bags. Then the wine and the wine bags will continue to be good."

— Matthew 9:16-17 ERV...

Fasting? - Matthew 9:14-15

Key Passage
Then the followers of John came to Jesus. They said to Jesus, "We and the Pharisees fast often. But your followers don't fast. Why?" Jesus answered, "{When there is a wedding,} the friends of the bridegroom are not sad while he is with them. But the time will come when the bridegroom will leave them. The friends are sad when the bridegroom leaves. Then they will fast."

— Matthew 9:14-15 ERV (Read Full Text)

Key Thought
Jesus wanted John's disciples, along with his own...

Sinners - Matthew 9:13

Key Passage
"I will tell you something. Go and learn what it means: 'I don't want animal sacrifices; I want you to show kindness to people.' I did not come to invite good people. I came to invite sinners."

— Matthew 9:13 ERV (Read Full Text)

Key Thought
God has never wanted to condemn. That has never been his purpose. His Old Testament Laws were meant to distinguish the Israelites as his people and preserve them from spiritual and physical harm. When people rebel, rather than looking...

Dinner with Sinners - Matthew 9:10-12

Key Passage
Jesus ate dinner at Matthew's house. Many tax collectors and other bad people came and ate with Jesus and his followers. The Pharisees saw that Jesus was eating with these people. The Pharisees asked Jesus' followers, "Why does your teacher eat with tax collectors and other bad people?" Jesus heard the Pharisees say this. So Jesus said to the Pharisees, "Healthy people don't need a doctor. It is the sick people that need a doctor."

— Matthew 9:10-12 ERV (Read Full Text)...

Authority - Matthew 9:9

Key Passage
When Jesus was leaving, he saw a man named Matthew. Matthew was sitting at his place for collecting taxes. Jesus said to him, "Follow me." Then Matthew stood up and followed Jesus.

— Matthew 9:9 ERV (Read Full Text)

Key Thought
Not only does Jesus have the authority to forgive sins, he has the authority to command sinners to follow and they follow. They respond with a change of heart and behavior. A classic example is Matthew the tax collector—tax collectors in Jesus day...

Authority - Matthew 9:4-8

Key Passage
Jesus knew they were thinking this. So Jesus said, "Why are you thinking such evil thoughts? The Son of Man has power on earth to forgive sins. But how can I prove this to you? Maybe you are thinking it was easy for me to say, 'Your sins are forgiven.' {No one could see if it really happened.} But what if I say to the man, 'Stand up and walk'? Then you will be able to see that I really have this power." So Jesus said to the paralyzed man, "Stand up. Take your mat and go home."...

True Friends - Matthew 9:1-3

Key Passage
Jesus got into a boat and went back across the lake to his own town. Some people brought to Jesus a man that was paralyzed (crippled). The man was lying on a mat. Jesus saw that these people had much faith. So Jesus said to the paralyzed man, "Young man, you'll be glad to hear this! Your sins are forgiven." Some of the teachers of the law heard this. They said to themselves, "This man (Jesus) talks like he is God—that is blasphemy. "

— Matthew 9:1-3 ERV (Read Full Text)...

Driven Away - Matthew 8:33-34

Key Passage
The men that had the work of caring for the pigs ran away. They went into town and told the people what happened. They told about all that happened with the pigs and with the men that had demons. Then the whole town went out to see Jesus. When the people saw Jesus, they begged him to leave their area.

— Matthew 8:33-34 ERV (Read Full Text)

Key Thought
The status quo is very powerful! We would rather things not change if they are going to threaten us or our livelihood...

Destruction and Victory - Matthew 8:30-32

Key Passage
Near that place there was a large herd of pigs feeding. The demons begged Jesus, "If you make us leave these men, please send us into that herd of pigs." Jesus said to them, "Go!" So the demons left those men and went into the pigs. Then the whole herd of pigs ran down the hill and into the lake. All the pigs drowned in the water.

— Matthew 8:30-32 ERV (Read Full Text)

Key Thought
Two truths are powerfully illustrated by these verses. First, Jesus commands and demons must...

Those Who Know - Matthew 8:28-29

Key Passage
Jesus arrived at the other side of the lake in the country of the Gadarene people. There, two men came to Jesus. They had demons inside them. These men lived in the burial caves. They were very dangerous. So people could not use the road by those caves. The two men came to Jesus and shouted, "What do you want with us, Son of God? Did you come here to punish us before the right time?"

— Matthew 8:28-29 ERV (Read Full Text)

Key Thought
Jesus is in foreign territory. This is...

Top Bottom