Bible Verse for Today

Today's Verse is a daily excerpt from the Bible along with a thought and prayer

John 14:23 (03-08-09)

If anyone loves me, he will obey my teaching. My Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him.

John 14:23 (NIV)

Thoughts on Today's Verse...

This chapter begins with Jesus promising that he is going back to heaven to prepare a place for us. Now, however, he wants us to know that we don't have to wait until heaven to be in the presence of God. As we love God and obey his Word, God comes and makes his home with us. Isn't it an amazing and gracious...

Acts 5:32 (03-07-09)

We are witnesses of these things, and so is the Holy Spirit, whom God has given to those who obey him.

Acts 5:32 (NIV)

Of all the many gifts God gives, the gift of his presence in us through his Holy Spirit is among the most precious. The Spirit's presence makes us God's temple (1 Cor. 6:19). The Spirit intercedes for us according to the will of God when we pray (Rom. 8:26-27). The Spirit helps us overcome the pull of our flesh (Rom. 8:13-14)...

Psalm 119:1 (03-06-09)

Blessed are they whose ways are blameless, who walk according to the law of the LORD.

Psalm 119:1 (NIV)

As Christians, we hear this passage a little differently than those who lived under the Old Testament Law. We recognize that our blamelessness comes as a gift of Jesus' sacrificial death on the Cross. We know we are not justified by keeping the Law, but we are doing our absolute best to walk in the way of the Lord out of thanks for God's...

Romans 8:1-2 (03-05-09)

Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death.

Romans 8:1-2 (NIV)

The law of Spirit and life is a great liberator! We are set free from the law of sin and death. Death has no mastery over us because of Jesus' resurrection. Sin has no claim on us because Jesus on the Cross paid off our debt to sin. We stand before God...

Acts 2:38 (03-04-09)

Peter replied, "Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off -- for all whom the Lord our God will call."

Acts 2:38 (NIV)

A promise for all those everywhere: those who turn their hearts to God and are baptized fully trusting in Jesus as their Lord and Savior will be...

Psalm 37:1-2 (03-02-09)

Do not fret because of evil men or be envious of those who do wrong; for like the grass they will soon wither, like green plants they will soon die away.

Psalm 37:1-2 (NIV)

Frustration and envy... hmmm, isn't that our reaction to those who are evil and yet seem to prosper? We're reminded to not let the apparent and short-lived successes of evil people derail our faith or dampen our spirits. Their victories are temporary, their wealth is like a...

Psalm 37:3 (03-03-09)

Trust in the LORD and do good; dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture.

Psalm 37:3 (NIV)

Having a place of permanence in the middle of life's uncertainties and having the assurance of God's provision are based on two very clear principles: trusting in the LORD and doing good to others. When we live by those two commitments, we learn to depend upon God in fresh new ways that bring us refreshment, hope, and new joy.My Prayer...

Loving God...

Psalm 143:8 (03-01-09)

Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul.

Psalm 143:8 (NIV)

In nearly every disciple's life, there comes a time of loneliness and doubt. It seems as if our prayer requests just bounce off the ceiling and fall in broken pieces at our feet. God seems distant, hiding, asleep, or unsympathetic to our cries for mercy and help. Thankfully God gives us...

1 John 4:4 (02-28-09)

You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them [those who deny that Jesus is from God and who have the spirit of the world], because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world.

1 John 4:4 (NIV)

The world can often be a hostile place for believers. God wants his spiritual children to know, however, that they are not alone. He lives in us through his Spirit. We can be assured, therefore, that no matter what spirit...

Isaiah 41:13 (02-27-09)

For I am the LORD, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you.

Isaiah 41:13 (NIV)

Life crashes in and we wish we could be children again and have someone to take care of us and protect us. Into our confused and chaotic world, God's promise comes to us once again. Like a loving parent with a frightened child, God reaches out and takes hold of our hands and comforts us with his precious words: "Don't...

Top Bottom